This is a quick post to remind me how to configure a pfSense appliance for e-mail notifications sent through Google GMAIL.
Configuration was quick and easy –
- E-mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port of E-mail server: 465
- Secure SMTP Connection: Enable SMTP over SSL/TLS ticked
- From E-mail address: [choose an appropriate e-mail]
- Notification E-mail address: [the e-mail you want to receive alerts on]
- Notification E-mail auth username: [GMAIL account you are authenticating with]
- Notification E-mail auth password: [password associated with the GMAIL notification account you are using]
- Notification E-mail auth mechanism: PLAIN
One thing of note – pfSense doesn’t have a nice menu system to let you pick and choose notifications, at least not at the time of writing. My hope is that over time this functionality expands so that I can enable specific notifications for events of interest. There are optional packages that can be installed that provide some notification options but I’m really hopeful that native functionality comes soon.